Educational visits can be highpoints of the year for students. An opportunity to explore sites of historical or cultural interest, to immerse oneself in another language, to see the application of Science or Technology in the workplace or to try out a new sport or activity, is not only motivating but also consolidates and extends learning. Such experiences broaden horizons, support personal development and hone social skills. Girls benefit from the shared experience of a peer-group activity and they certainly enjoy themselves immensely.
At Woodford we run a huge range of visits for students of all age groups. Day visits with targeted educational outcomes reinforce learning in individual subject areas. In addition, our proximity to London gives us access to many enrichment opportunities: concerts and plays, exhibitions and masterclasses.
Residential visits are frequent, but those available on offer will vary from year to year. Subject-specific field courses are a component of some A-Level syllabuses. Trips of a more broadly cultural or recreational nature are organised during school holidays and encompass foreign tours, activity breaks and major expeditions.
Current examples of school visits
School Day visits:
- Physics Department Visit to CERN in Geneva and Cavendish Laboratory
- English visits to productions at the Globe Theatre, the New Rose Theatre in Kingston, Old Vic Theatre and the West End
- Art Department visits to exhibitions at the National Gallery, Tate Modern and the Saatchi Gallery
- Geography field work in Epping Forest, Walton on the Naze, Herne Bay, Preston, Olympic Park and Clacton.
- A Cross-curricular History/Geography/RS visit to Rochester.
- Classics visits to Kiln Theatre and John Soane Museum
- Computing visit to Bletchley Park
- Science lectures and demonstrations at the Science Museum and at London Universities
- Language visits to Boulogne, the German markets, the French and Goethe Institutes
- Sports-focused visits to the University of Westminster and the 2012 Olympic Stadium.
- Politics visit to the Houses of Parliament.
- PE visit to the FA Cup Final and Castle Climbing centre
- Music visit to the Royal Festival Hall and Apollo Theatre
- Classics department visit the Bay of Naples (2023)
- MFL department visit the Rhine Valley in Germany (2023)
- MFL deparment visit the Opal Coast in France (2023)
- History department visit the Belgian Battlefields (2023)
- Geography visit to Iceland (2022)
- Classics department visit the Bay of Naples (2022)
- History department visit Paris (2022)
- Religious Studies department visit to Poland (2020)
- History visits to the Belgian and French battlefields (2020)
- Creative Technologies visit Berlin (2019)
- The Classics department visit Greece (2019)
- Geography visit to Iceland (2019)
- Classics department visit the Bay of Naples (2018)
- History Department visit Washington DC (2016)
Senior students may apply to participate in expeditions: a commitment which involves active fundraising, a significant element of physical challenge, and participation in an ambitious community project abroad.
Woodford expeditions, led by Wilderness Experience, have included:
- 2018 Guatemala & Belize
- 2016 Nepal
- 2013 Cambodia
- 2011 Morocco
- 2010 Ghana
- 2008 China and Mongolia
- 2006 Belize and Guatemala
- 2004 Ecuador
- 2002 Peru
- 2000 Borneo